Partnership with Presbyterians in Syria and Lebanon
Members of Central participate with the Syria-Lebanon Partnership Network (SLPN) of the Presbyterian Church (USA). The SLPN is a coalition of Presbyterians from across the US who covenant together to pray with and for the people of Syria and Lebanon in a time of war and uncertainty; to listen to the concerns of all parties in the region; to advocate for policies that promote peace and reconciliation in the region; and to raise funds for NESSL’s humanitarian relief and educational work. The SLPN coordinates its activities with the PC(USA) Mission Agency and the National Evangelical Synod of Syria and Lebanon (NESSL), the NESSL churches, schools, and related institutions. The Presbyterian Church has a strong and long-standing presence in Lebanon and Syria through NESSL.
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, the PC(USA) Office of Public Witness, and the PC(USA) Mission Agency, recently sponsored the production of a video, Facing the Human Tragedy in Syria. Click here to view it.
Refugee Resettlement Coalition of Lane County
The Refugee Resettlement Coalition is a group of people from local faith-based groups, service organizations, and the Eugene-Springfield community who work with Catholic Community Services to welcome and support refugee families resettling in Lane County. Central is a member of the Coalition.
Coffee Sales for World Mission
Every Sunday after worship you have an opportunity to support social justice, fair trade, and indigenous farmers by purchasing “Strictly Organic” coffee, a premium, fair-trade coffee. Profits from coffee sales support a better life for coffee farming families through fair prices, direct trade, community development, and environmental stewardship.
Blanket the World with Love
Every February, we have an opportunity to support the Church World Service’s (CWS) disaster relief Blankets+ Fund by buying hand-made Valentine cards for your sweetie or special friend. The blankets and other emergency items are distributed throughout the world and the U.S. by CWS to help people recover from disasters and displacement. Valentine cards are made by University students who are involved in K-Center campus ministry, and they are beautiful and fun!
Central participates in all four of the churchwide Special Offerings of the Presbyterian Church (USA) as a collective witness to God’s love for the entire church and as an integral part of what it means to be a connectional church.
Christmas Joy Offering
Central receives the Christmas Joy Offering on the fourth Sunday in Advent, the Sunday before Christmas. Your gift to this Special Offering helps provide financial assistance to current and former church workers and their families in times of need and also equips future racial ethnic leaders through leadership development and education at Presbyterian-related racial ethnic colleges and schools. Two PC(USA) ministries receive funds from this offering: the Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions and Racial Ethnic Leadership Development.
One Great Hour of Sharing
Central dedicates the One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) on Easter Sunday. A gift to OGHS enables the church to share God’s love with our neighbors in need around the world by providing relief to those affected by natural disasters, providing food to the hungry, and helping to empower the poor and oppressed. Three specific PC(USA) ministries are funded through OGHS: Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, Presbyterian Huger Program, and Self Development of People.
Received on the day of Pentecost, gifts to the Pentecost Offering help the church encourage, develop, and support its young people and also address the needs of at-risk children. Forty percent of the Pentecost offering is retained by Central for donating to a local agency serving the needs of young people or children. Central’s Session decides each year which agency will receive the 40% portion of this offering. The remaining 60% supports three ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency: Young Adult Volunteers, Ministries for Youth, and Children-at-Risk
Peace and Global Witness
The Peace and Global Witness Offering is received on World Communion Sunday, the first Sunday in October. A gift to this Special Offering enables the church to promote the Peace of Christ by addressing systems of injustice across the world. Individual churches are encouraged to retain 25% of this offering to connect with the global witness of Christ’s peace. Each year, Central’s Session decides how to allocate our 25% to global mission. Presbyteries and Synods of the Presbyterian Church retain an additional 25% for ministries of peace and reconciliation. The remaining 50% is used by the Presbyterian Mission Agency to advocate for peace and justice in cultures of violence, including our own, through collaborative projects of education and Christian witness.